As a beginner to WordPress site it is important to see how to create menu and manage in it. The menu acts as navigation in the site for visitors. It is good to add meta data of the content such as Category in menu. Position of the menus are based on the theme design but still users can customize it and change its look and interaction.
In WordPress the menus are placed at different position such as,
- Above Header – Used for Page navigation such as home, contact etc
- Below Header – To highlight list of Category
- Inside Header – Using Header widget (if available in theme )
Example – Navigation Menu position with Header
Before creating menu list make sure you have pages and category to add, else for time being create dummy names to check,
- Pages -> Add New Page
- Posts -> Category and create empty category names.
How to Create a New Menu in WordPress:
1. Log in WordPress dashboard as admin.
2. Go to Appearance -> Menu
Enter the name for the menu and hit ‘Create menu‘ button. To make it easy, add the keyword such as below or above header.
3. Add Page or Category to the newly created menu
Links: Custom URL can also be added such as re directing to other website or Post content with in same blog.
Click Save Menu when ever you do the changes.The above steps helps to create new Menu list with different names and now will see how to assign these menu to the site.
Method 1: Change Menu in Menu Settings:
While creating menu itself there may be options to select theme position.
Method 2: Change menu from Theme Customize:
Go to Appearance -> Customize
Select the menu list you want to link.
Note: This option may vary with Theme.
Method 3: Set Menu using Widgets in Sidebar
Menu can also be added to Header, Sidebar or even Footer by using Widgets. The theme should be have an option to add widget in header location.
1. Go to Appearance -> Widgets
2. Select Custom menu and apply to the position or drag and drop
3. Choose the menu name and save it.
Also can create new list for sidebar and add then add menu. This helps to avoid using Category widget in sidebar and have custom category list.