WordPress is an open source blogging platform to run Content Management sites, and their features are not limited. The WordPress Importer plugin allows you to easily transfer contents into another website using an XML file.
Export and Import can be used for,
- Moving contents from One WordPress to another
- Create backup of site having a few contents
- Sample content for theme testing
- Share selective contents to other people.
Export content from WordPress
1. Log in to WP Dashboard as Admin
2. Click Tools -> Export , choosing All content option helps to backs up all content including posts, pages, comments, categories and tags.
3. Selecting only Posts option helps to have particular Category, Author, Date.
4. Choosing Pages option will only export page content and not post
Download Export File generates Export file which will be in XML format.
Import Content to WordPress site
Now consider a scenario as creating another blog and importing the contents from XML file.
1. Log in to the Dashboard of another blog
2. Go to Tools -> Import
3. Choose WordPress platform to import data , and this requires the plugin ‘WordPress Importer’.
Check out 3 Ways to to Install WordPress Plugins
4. Select the XML file from computer and then install it.
5. There will be an option to rename author of the content; and also import images into new site.
Giving Submit will import the contents into WordPress site.
There are options to install content from other platform e.g. Blogger.Same process cant not be implemented for migrating website from one space to another. This method is only suitable for moving a few contents.